H2 Photographs
Steam Locomotive H2 Timeline
Date
|
|
1951 - October 12th
|
Belpariel docked at Hobart with eight H class Steam Locomotives, H1 through H8, as deck cargo. On same ship were V5 and V6. All the H class locos were unloaded at Hobart then towed to Launceston railway workshops.
|
1951 - Nov/Dec
|
H2 entered service. But only able to operate North of Parattah due to height of Rhyndaston Tunnel.
|
1956 - Sept
|
H2 repainted Red (with H6) to match saloon passenger carriages
|
1960s - early
|
due for heavy overhaul and boiler retubing but management decided to withdraw when deemed unfit to remain in service (due to diesel electrics)
|
1961 - May
|
Stored at Launceston Roundhouse
|
1966
|
After H7 having problems H2 was brought out of storage for a major overhaul
|
1967 - September
|
Overhaul finished with fresh coat of red paint.
|
1971 - February
|
With H5 in the Railway Centenary Celebrations
|
1971-1975
|
Hobart suburban passenger trains,Tasman Limited feeder trains (between Launceston and Western Junction), special passenger trains and occasional goods trains.
|
1975 - October
|
Need for major boiler repairs -> withdrawn from traffic
|
1979 - May
|
at same time as H5 sold by ANR, H2 sold to "two Hobart rail enthusiasts."
|
1979 - June
|
Transferred to Hobart.
|
1987 - April
|
Excursion trains mainly Hobart to Maydena
|
1991 - late
|
Ownership moved from Tasmanian Locomotive Company to Derwent Valley Railway Preservation Society.
|
Until May 1994
|
Operating out of New Norfolk Yard
|
1994 - May
|
Boiler required repairs
|
___________________
|
|
Wikipedia Page H Class Locomotives in Tasmania:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_Government_Railways_H_class_(1951)